Arise Chicago is hiring!
See job description below for: Bilingual Workplace Justice Campaigns Organizer.
Arise Chicago, a leading workers’ rights organization, seeks creative, motivated, full-time staff to grow our efforts winning workplace justice across Chicago and Cook County.
Arise Chicago trains, organizes, and develops the leadership of low-wage, primarily immigrant workers and religious allies to improve working conditions and advance working family policies.
Begun by the faith community in 1991, Arise Chicago brings low-wage immigrant workers, faith leaders and congregations, union leadership and rank-and-file members, elected officials, academics, legal advisors, and community leaders together to create economic justice and social change.
Bilingual Workplace Justice Campaigns Organizer
Full time position to train and support individual and groups of low-wage, primarily immigrant workers to improve their workplace conditions and grow as worker leaders.
Reports to Worker Center Program Director.
Organize Workplace Justice Campaigns 75%
- Conduct comprehensive individual and group intakes for workplace justice campaigns regarding workplace problems such as wage theft, health & safety hazards, discrimination, and sexual harassment
- Organize members to collect evidence of workplace exploitation, gather information about their employer target, and gain co-worker support
- Develop campaign strategies and communicate risks to workers
- Organize members to lead direct actions including community delegations, public protests, press conferences, and employer negotiations
- Coordinate comprehensive campaign strategy with community and religious allies, government agencies, and attorneys
- Coordinate with Communications Director to prepare members to communicate their campaigns, including to allies and media
- Participate in weekly staff meetings to select, plan, and evaluate workplace justice campaigns
- Maintain good campaign records and enter worker campaign data into database
- Conduct campaign closing interviews to elicit members’ recommendations for improvements and recruit members for continued leadership development
- Assess workplace justice campaigns to identify organizing opportunities and refer members to the Strategic Campaigns Organizer
- Train and supervise organizing interns
- Provide support to the Strategic Campaigns organizer
Support Member Organizer to Develop Member Leadership 15%
- Recruit campaign leaders to become Arise members
- Work closely with the Member Organizer to train worker members in organizing skills and link to other educational opportunities
- In conjunction with the Member Organizer, recommend members to attend the Leadership Institute, join member committees, become trainers, and join the Board of Directors
- Assist Member Organizer to mobilize members for organizational events, meet with funders, speak to the media, attend coalition meetings, volunteer at the office, and otherwise become more involved in the organization
- Facilitate worker member consciousness and foster analysis of individual workplace exploitation in relation to broader social issues and systemic inequality
Participate in other Arise Chicago Activities as needed 10%
- Provide support for Arise Chicago’s broader campaigns including: union solidarity campaigns, immigrant rights campaigns, and public policy campaigns
- Contribute to Arise Chicago’s overall strategy and organizational development
- Collect and submit campaign data reports for evaluation and grants
- Support fundraising, communications, and other administrative tasks
- Full Spanish and English oral and written fluency is required. Please do not apply if you are not fully bilingual
- Excellent communication, presentation, and meeting facilitation skills
- Basic training in community or union organizing
- Comfort and skill with conflict, disputes and negotiations
- Ability to assess, manage, and communicate risks
- Strong respect for and comfort working with diverse religious communities
- Collaborative working spirit and strong interpersonal skills
- Commitment to social justice and the empowerment of low-income communities
- Basic computer skills
- Basic math skills needed for calculating owed wages
- 2 years of community or union organizing experience
- Familiarity with employment law
- Familiarity with leadership development practices
Compensation commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits including health, dental, long and short term disability, and generous vacation and sabbatical policies. Unique, collaborative and supportive work environment, with talented and dedicated team.
Arise Chicago is an equal opportunity employer. In order to best reflect our membership, immigrants, people of color, and women are especially encouraged to apply.
To apply, send resume and cover letter to: info[at]arisechicago[dot]org
Please include “Workplace Campaigns Organizer Application” in the subject line.